Monday, November 06, 2006

Quick Update, Verse, A Couple of Quotes

It's been a fun couple of weeks. Since I've last blogged I've worked, read a lot of fairly useless stuff on the internet, attended a panel discussion with some students and library staff on technology and library use, participated in a Fall Fun Fest at church as parking/security team leader, attended a great halloween party as a suburban nazgul, heard a couple of good sermons at church from Matt, who's having a new baby for Sam and Ben to be big brothers to, and 2nd John, had a good Lifegroup discussion of 1 John 2:15-27, gotten a new roommate to go along with Steve for a while, served the youth, prayed for college students, heard three great lectures (or one sermon and two lectures) by Quentin Schultze at Trinity, worked some more, didn't take the new roommate to Ohio, studied more of 1 John, saw, liked, and pondered the movie "The Prestige," watched a painful Bears loss and two fantastic Colts wins, played a game of disc golf, and blogged once.

There might be more details on some of those things at some point. Last Monday a friend who's been in and out of trouble with the law and who's trying to walk with God was sharing about some of the problems he'd been having where he was staying. Steve and I offered to let him come live with us while he tries to get back on his feet. He had been told a while ago by some relatives in Ohio that he could come stay with them if he could get down there. Steve and I talked it over and thought it would be fun to go on a roadtrip so we offered to drive him to Ohio. Unfortunately we found out that his aunt there had a full house and no longer had a place for him. So he's still staying with us until he can make his next step. He'd like to get out of this area to get away from some bad relationships and try to make a clean break with his past but he doesn't know what to do. Hopefully we can encourage him and help him.

Verse of the day:
"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world-- the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions--is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever." 1 John 2:15-17 (ESV)

Quotes of the Day:
1st the serious
"Let us flee the world. For what have we got in common with it? Let us run and pursue until we have laid hold of something that is permanent and doesn't pass away, for all things perish and pass away like a dream, and nothing is lasting or certain among the things which are seen." Symeon the New Theologian (10th c. abbot in Constantinople)

2nd the humorous
"Mosquitos, the silent killer. You could be dead and not even know it. Mosquitos." 2nd John in Sunday's sermon
"WHAT AN AWESOME BLOCK! THERE'S A BIRD!" EM (not me). You probably had to be there for this one to be funny. He shouted it during a kickoff return in the Bears game yesterday. There were a lot of pigeons on and around the field.

8 comments:

Tooz said...

Wow. You are a man of many blogs. I just found the third one. I don't know how you have time to keep up with anything. Hope God blesses the roommate situation. Love you.

Everett said...

I have but one blog. The others are managed by other people and I merely contribute.

Everett said...

I don't keep up with much viz. one post in two weeks.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

From recent experience, I can offer to your new roommate the advice that sometimes a clean break away from almost everyone and everything you know can be a good thing. Moving to Texas, where the only person I knew was my dad (and I may love him, but I don't like him very much!) has taught me a lot of things I never knew about myself. Let me think on it, then maybe I'll blog about it and, if he wants to, your new roommate can read it and see if it helps him any.

Becca said...

There was a very refreshing feeling to being in AZ once I got over the fear, found a job, and had a bit of cash in my pocket. I learned a lot about who I was and who I wanted to become, and I feel very fortunate that what I have is all based on what I worked for during that time. I'm also very fortunate to have a partner who was in the same pickle I was in--we've grown up a lot together in a lot of ways, but still had our own experiences before and after meeting.

My friend Candi, who just moved to Ohio, is turning things around now that she's away from her toxic family. She has a good job, just bought a house on her own, and is enjoying being who she is, not being viewed through a prism all the time. This is a woman who, when she visited her family for Thanksgiving last year, was seated at the kids' table.

She just turned 26.

I'm hopeful for your friend, and hopeful that this works out well for you and your roommate, as well.

Tooz said...

Bubby, congratulate your friend Matt. I am sure his wife appreciates HIM having the baby this time. Love you.

Burly said...

The mosquito quote is true. Hop over to my blog to vote on the "Who is it?" picture.

Everett said...

I was killed by a mosquito once. I still haven't realized it.