Thursday, December 06, 2007

My CD Player

As I put on Sibelius' Kullervo Suite to listen to while I did some random computer puttering and talked on the phone with Jenn I was reminded how much I appreciate my CD player. I purchased it used from my friend Matt in the summer of 1996. I had a Best Buy gift certificate I had gotten while temping at Toyota for the summer and had decided it was finally time to leave the world of audio cassettes behind for the world of CDs. Technologically I am clearly a late adopter, signified by my abhorrence of cell phones. Matt and I went over to Lexington and I bought my first CDs, the soundtrack to the movie First Knight and a disc of Russian choral music. I needed something to play them on so I bought the player. I don't know how old it is, and I don't know the typical life expectancy of a CD player. All I know is that when the guards pitched in and bought CD players for all the security stations at Hewitt, those players were fried by radio waves within a year but my player took those waves and soldiered on. I bought a player four years ago or so for my office because I don't like using the player in my computer. That player is dying on me, but my old player soldiers on. I like my CD player.

1 comment:

ann said...

Good thing you don't have a cell phone. They're so expensive!