Sunday, September 18, 2016

Tolkien Week Day One

Yesterday I learned that today marks the beginning of Tolkien Week. I thought in honor of the week I would post a favorite quote from one of the Professor's books and a piece of Tolkien related music each day of the week. If the idea of "spoiler" can be properly said to apply to works that have been in publication for more than a few decades, and if you are concerned they might give away important plot points that you have not yet encountered, don't read the quotes and just enjoy the linked musical selections.

Today's quote comes from The Hobbit, chapter 18, The Return Journey.

Bilbo knelt on one knee filled with sorrow. "Farewell, King under the Mountain!" he said. "This is a bitter adventure, if it must end so; and not a mountain of gold can amend it. Yet I am glad that I have shared in your perils--that has been more than any Baggins deserves."

"No!" said Thorin. "There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!!"


For music I link this version of Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold, performed by Peter Hollins.

No comments: