Thursday, August 03, 2006

Verse of the Day and Gone for the Weekend

"When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion,
we were like those who dream.
Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
and our tongue with shouts of joy;
then they said among the nations,
"The LORD has done great things for them."
The LORD has done great things for us;
we are glad." Psalm 126:1-3

I remember sitting on the floor of a rented building in Toronto the weekend before Thanksgiving, 1994 and reading this passage while all around me people laughed in Spirit. Some friends and I had come to Toronto to see the revival that was going on, called the Toronto Blessing, at the Airport Vineyard. It was my first experience with the Vineyard and it remains one of only three Vineyards I've visited besides my church in Libertyville. It was an amazing thing to hear the testimonies of how God had touched people there in Toronto and be a part of it for a little while. At the time I focused on verse 2 and the laughter and shouts of joy. Now I think a little more about verse three. God has done great things for me and I am glad.

I'll be leaving Friday morning to go with the Jr. High kids up to central Wisconsin where we'll be canoing, camping and rock climbing for the weekend. Please pray that we have a fun and safe time and that we leaders can minister to the kids. We'll get back Sunday afternoon and I should have just enough time to get cleaned and head down to Highland Park to hear Yo Yo Ma at Ravinia. I hope you all have a good time this weekend.

7 comments:

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Yo Yo Ma?! I'm jealous! I LOVE Yo Yo Ma! Actually, one of the things he has done that I really enjoyed was when he was animated as himself on "Arthur" the animated PBS series. Jamie loved it, and I did too! So I guess that means you won't be home Sunday night for a phone call... Maybe I'll catch you next Wednesday, if Ann doesn't beat me to it.

Tara said...

Say Hi to Highland Park for me! (I nannied there, remember?)

Anonymous said...

The weekend was over on Sunday. It is now Tuesday night. Would you blog already?

Tooz said...

Hey, did you ever get back?

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Wednesday morning, and still no sign of Everett... Should we send out an APB?

Anonymous said...

How was Ravinia? I miss it so much. I recently heard Garrison Kellior on the radio and he was at Ravinia and then I went and watched them movie directly after. Good time and good memories.

Everett said...

Ravinia was great. It was fun to hang out and wind down after the weekend retreat. The weather was nice, not to hot and clearish. The music was also good. Dianne and I were at that PHC show this summer.